Major Research Interests:
- Color perception and color memory, Bayesian modeling of perception, natural image recognition, philosophy of perception, neural basis of visual object recognition, and evolutionary psychology.
- Bae, G. Y., Olkkonen, M., Allred, S. R., Wilson, C., and Flombaum, J. I. (in press, Journal of Vision. Stimulus specific variability in color working memory with delayed estimation.)
- Olkkonen M., and Allred S. R. (2014) Short-Term Memory Affects Color Perception in Context. PLoS ONE 9(1): e86488. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0086488. URL
- Allred, S.R and Olkkonen, M. (2013). The effect of background and illumination on color identification of real, 3D objects. Front. Psychol. 4:821. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00821. URL pdf
- Allred, S. R., and Brainard, D.H. (2013) A Bayesian model of lightness perception that incorporates spatial variation in the illumination. Journal of Vision, 13(7). pdf
- Allred, S. R. (2012). Approaching Color With Bayesian Algorithms. In G. Hatfield & S. R. Allred (Eds.), Visual Experience: Sensation, Cognition, and Constancy (1st ed.) Oxford University Press. pdf, book
- Allred, S.R., Radonjic, A., Gilchrist, A., and Brainard, D.H. (2012). Lightness perception in high-dynamic range images: local and remote luminance effects. Journal of Vision, 12(2). pdf
- Radonjic, A., Allred, S.R., Gilchrist, A., and Brainard, D.H. (2011). The dynamic range of human lightness perception. Current Biology, 21(22), 1931-6. doi:10.1016/j.cub.2011.10.013. article, dispatch
- Allred, S.R., Brainard, D.H. (2009). Contrast, constancy, and measurements of perceived lightness under parametric manipulation of surface slant and surface reflectance. Journal of the Optical Society of America A, 26(4), 949-961. article
- Allred, S. R., Jagadeesh, B. (2007). Quantitative comparison between neural response in macaque inferotemporal cortex and behavioral discrimination of photographic images. Journal of Neurophysiology, doi:10.1152/jn.00016.2007. article
- Allred, S.R., Liu, Y., and Jagadeesh, B. (2005). Selectivity of inferior temporal neurons for realistic pictures predicted by algorithms for image database navigation. Journal of Neurophysiology, doi:10.1152/jn.00130.2005. article
- Allred, S.R., Liu, Y., and Jagadeesh, B. (2004). Algorithms for image database navigation and tuning of object selective neurons in the non-human primate. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGGRAPH 1st Symposium on Applied Graphics and Visualization, Los Angeles, CA August 7-8.
Work in Progress:
- Current and recent projects in my lab include color perception and color memory, rapid perceptual learning, high dynamic range lightness perception, ideal observer models of lightness perception, the influence of scene geometry on lightness perception, and philosophical issues in color constancy. Specific future ideas include Bayesian modeling of size and distance estimation, Bayesian models of perceptual uncertainty.